Located at 15098 Dead River Road, Thonotosassa, FL 33592 is situated at the confluence of Dead River and the Hillsborough River. Nature lovers appreciate a scenic two-mile trail alongside the Hillsborough River. This site also offers primitive group camping.
- 2-mile unpaved, elevated single-lane road.
- Bicycles allowed on river trail.
- Always yield to foot travelers.
- Do not skid.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- Site 104 on western section of Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) for more information.
- Camping fee.
- Campsite available to youth groups by reservation only. Minimum of 6 and maximum of 30 campers allowed. Groups must have their own insurance.
- A 0.25-mile hiking trail for use by campers located adjacent to campground.
- Bathhouse and picnic facilities provided.
- Available on Hillsborough River.
- Contact FWC (FWC) for license requirements.
- 2-mile entrance road.
- 2-mile natural surface river trail.
- Canoe launch is a short portage from parking area.
- Canoe landing upstream one mile at old Reagan home site.
- Hillsborough River State Park located further upstream.
- Downstream is Seventeen Runs. This portion of Hillsborough River State Canoe Trail is designated as a primitive trail. Experienced paddlers only. Deadfall obstacles are frequent, dry ground for rest breaks is hard to find and the many forking channels can easily disorient paddlers. Pay close attention to flow of river and look for trail markers.
- Picnic tables located a short walk from parking area.
- Disabled individuals may contact park in advance for special vehicle access.
Access and Parking
- About nine miles northeast of I-75. From I-75, exit at Fowler Avenue, travel east for 1.5 miles. Turn left onto US 301, heading north. Drive about 8 miles and look for Dead River Road on left. Follow this road 0.75 miles to a gate. If open, drive to parking lot at end of road â€“ about 2 miles.
- Admission fee.
- Visitors may drive scenic entrance road to main parking area during normal operating hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restrooms and Water
- Dogs must be on a leash no more than six feet in length.
- Owners are requested to pick up after dog.
(Source: South West Florida Management District)
Check out the aerial and terrestrial album by clicking the link below or the picture above, and stay tuned as we bring you even more aerial and terrestrial pictures of natural real estate around the Tampa Bay area.